Add link to this wiki in Resources section.done--Alexkhansen 23:52, 2 Sep 2005 (GMT)
Browse CVS link. Trevor's right...probably best to use whatever link SF puts on the auto-generated project summary page. Maybe they changed it, or we're using some old alias mechanism?done --Alexkhansen 02:51, 28 February 2006 (GMT)
- Bad permissions on .profile--
There has been a bug report on this for a long time (
#1020637 fixed in fink-0.24.11). The problem is that the pathsetup script, when run automatically by the installer, sometimes suffers from a split personality syndrome: In the middle of its execution, it seems to forget that it runs as $USER and starts thinking it is root. Therefore it creates ~/.profile with root as owner (but in the correct home directory of $USER) and worse, when it tests whether the new setting works, itdoes the test as root and concludes that it doesn't work.The only thing usually necessary to repair this is to run
sudo chown $USER ~/.profile
dmacks: akh: Thinking of obsolete FAQs, the XML::Parser one is obsolete as of intltool-0.34.1-2 unless user has changed his /usr/bin/perl version.--updated --Alexkhansen 01:13, 20 April 2006 (GMT)
- buildlock error--discuss what buildlocks are, and the typical errors
- stale lockfile
- borked status
- working properly
- Bad fonts in QT apps--chown ~/.qt
- Needs GCC 4.0.0 but you have GCC 4.0.1 selected--update fink
Link to wiki "transient packages page" http://wiki.opendarwin.org/index.php?title=Fink:Package_issuesdone
Potentially solvable via apt-get update:
W: Couldn't stat source package list file: unstable/crypto Packages (/sw/var/lib/apt/lists/_sw_fink_dists_unstable_crypto_binary-darwin-powerpc_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory) W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
install yelp to avoid gnome-doc errors--done Alexkhansen 01:37, 6 Sep 2005 (GMT)
- Command-line option to detect misbuilt .la files:
find /sw/lib -name \*.la | xargs grep -lbad path
| xargs dpkg -S
Obsolete FAQ entries (tentative)
Q5.30: I keep getting 403 errors when I use apt-get or dselect or the Fink Commander Binary menu. A: There have been problems with the Sourceforge download servers, and therefore we are moving the binary distribution repository for this very reason.
- I suppose this move has already happened so does it make sense to keep this entry? monipol 02:44, 8 March 2009 (CET)
- Gone now.--Alexkhansen 17:08, 8 March 2009 (CET)
Q5.33: I haven't been able to do a cvs selfupdate. A:(...) this is because of a recent restructuring of the CVS servers at sourceforge.net. Fink files are now at fink.cvs.sourceforge.net.'
- This is, however a good diagnostic for not having updated from 10.4/transitional. --Alexkhansen 16:01, 8 March 2009 (CET)
- Consolidated with 5.13--Alexkhansen 17:32, 8 March 2009 (CET)
Q6.6: After I installed the December 2002 Development Tools I get messages about "weak libraries". A: This is new with the December 2002 Tools. (...)
Q6.15: I get errors involving freetype. A.: (...) you probably have a binary version that built fine with gcc3.3 on Jaguar but doesn't work on Panther.
- Jaguar/Panther reference deleted--Alexkhansen 23:10, 14 March 2009 (CET)
- Q6.17: Fink says I'm missing gcc2 or gcc3.1 but I can't seem to install it.
- This one's required by VirtPackage.pm--Alexkhansen 21:52, 14 March 2009 (CET)
Q6.23: Whenever I try to build from source, Fink keeps waffling between gettext-dev and libgettext3-dev. A.: (...) A permanent fix should hopefully be available in fink-0.24.9.
- Has it been fixed? monipol 02:44, 8 March 2009 (CET)
- That specific error has been fixed, but there's a general issue with complicated dependency trees where fink can't figure out how to install the whole mess at once.--Alexkhansen 17:36, 8 March 2009 (CET)
- Text modified as above--Alexkhansen 23:10, 14 March 2009 (CET)
Q7.4 This somewhat cryptic message means you need to install the December 2002 Developer Tools
- Deleted--Alexkhansen 23:10, 14 March 2009 (CET)
Q7.6 i can't install g77 because c++filt is missing. Where do I get it?
Q9.5 xterm fails with "dyld: xterm Undefined symbols: xterm undefined reference to _tgetent expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib". A: This is caused by using a 10.1 version of XFree86 on 10.2. You must upgrade to a 10.2 version.
Q9.10 I upgraded to Apple's X11 in Panther and now my window title bars are missing.
- bye-bye--Alexkhansen 23:10, 14 March 2009 (CET)
- Q9.12 I switched from the 10.2 Fink version to 10.2-gcc3.3 or 10.3, I have Apple's X11, and Fink asks me to install XFree86 or X.org.
- Removed from the PT translation. monipol 03:33, 11 March 2009 (CET)
- Q9.13 I'm still having problems with X11 and Fink.
- referenced from VirtPackage.pm
FAQ entries that could be updated (tentative)
- Q3.5 your active tree, e.g. 10.3
- The URL is broken. I don't know if there's still a way to check mirror status. monipol 15:00, 8 March 2009 (CET)
- Q5.1 Since Fink 0.2.3, there is the list command.
- Q5.7 Make sure you have the Developer Tools installed before you try this. (If there is no installer for the Developer Tools in your /Applications folder, you can get them from the Apple Developer Connection after free registration.)
- Xcode, and maybe mention the install DVD monipol 15:57, 8 March 2009 (CET)
- Q5.12 http://us.dl.sourceforge.net/fink/direct_download
- Q5.15 http://us.dl.sourceforge.net/fink/direct_download/source/
- Remove reference to this URL monipol 15:00, 8 March 2009 (CET)
- Q5.16 Note: Some older versions fink called this script pathsetup.command instead of pathsetup.sh'
- Q5.21 I can't seem to update Fink's version.
- Need to update versions (maybe commands too). monipol 15:00, 8 March 2009 (CET)
- Q5.25 /sw/var/lib/fink/prebound/update-package-prebinding.pl
- I couldn't find this file on my Fink installation (OS 10.5, fink-0.28.7). monipol 15:00, 8 March 2009 (CET)
- Q5.26 /sw/bin/pathsetup.command
- Q6.12 Dev(eloper) Tools
- Xcode Tools. DevSDK.pkg is located under /OptionalInstalls/Xcode Tools/Packages
- Q6.16 that is incompatible with Panther (...) with symbolic links to Panther's builtin files
- Q6.20 if you're on Panther
- Q6.25 or use sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/DeveloperTools.pkg for 10.3
- Q7.2 0.2.x users with up-to-date versions of Fink (>= 0.16.2) and 10.3.x users should skip step 1 below (it won't work anyway). (...) (XFree86-4.4.x as of May 25th, 2004)
- Q8.2 Using the "System Preferences: Users" pane (on 10.2.x) or "System Preferences: Accounts" pane (on 10.3.x) will assign all of their files to a random administrator account, and there have been reports of havoc played with the administrator account's permissions. This is a bug with System Preferences Is it still a bug? monipol 14:29, 8 March 2009 (CET)
- There's no more NetInfo.app/niutil in OS 10.5. They were replaced by local directory services. Listing (all) users: dscl . list /users. dscl can also be used to remove users. monipol 16:50, 8 March 2009 (CET)
- Q8.5 I'm bewildered by the X11 options: Apple X11, XFree86, etc. What should I install?
- Q9.1 There have also been reports of XMMS crashing or freezing on 10.1
- Q9.4 In Jaguar, sometimes all of the xfree86 packages get built
- Q9.6 You should reinstall it using fink reinstall xfree86-base-shlibs
- Q9.9 I upgraded from GNOME 1.x to GNOME 2.x
- Q9.11 I installed Apple's X11 but Fink keeps asking to install XFree86 or X.org. (...) you need to do is reinstall the X11User package (...) Note for Jaguar (X11 beta 3) users (...) If you are running a version of fink prior to 0.17
- Q9.13 If you are still having problems and you are running fink-0.19.0 or later (...) If you are running an earlier version of fink, then there is a Perl script (courtesy of Martin Costabel (...)
- Q9.14 After updating to Tiger (OS 10.4), whenever I use a GTK app, I get errors involving _EVP_idea_cbc
- update source installation page
- New features (check if a feature is already in a released fink version first)
update --keep-*-dir descs on web (both fink.8 and fink.conf.5)done --Alexkhansen 03:29, 2 March 2006 (GMT)
Need to document how to set Japanese properly with Fink packages in X11, terminal and Aqua environments.
Hi, I have seen a wrong translation in the spanish version of the Fink home page. You say:
- "hacemos un puerto"
but the spanish translation for: ("port" it) should be
- (lo "portamos")
In Spanish, a "puerto" means "harbour", whereas "portar" means to move, to translate into another software system.
The Type Field
Please see Fink:Documentation_Jottings:TypeField
bcully: people often get tripped up creating prerelease packages, because the version of the prerelease supersedes the actual release. I'd like to see some notes on this in the packaging manual. They could recommend dpkg --compare-versions to check whether this would happen. I think it'd be good to suggest a format for prerelease package names too. My preference is the form 1.0.9~rc2-1.
Moving the documentation to the wiki
Some random non-structured notes by Monipol (to be organised later)
- fink i18n, the code
- glossary (e.g. binary distribution)
- CMS (MediaWiki? + script install docs + script import)
- bash > csh/.cshrc
- backup procedure if CMS
- structure of i18n team
- VirtPackage.pm referencia URL FAQ
- uso de quote ou "
- referências a Jaguar/Panther
- Standard notation for OS versions
- When removing a FAQ entry, check xref and VirtPackage.pm